Thought for the Day:
“The greatest enemy of individual freedom is the individual himself.”
Question for the Day:
“Are you standing in the way of your own freedom?
I’m not gonna take to much time today, because I’m tired and about to give myself permission to drink a glass of wine, get under my weighted blanket and binge watch a few episodes of Judge Mathis before I retire. But since it’s the day before the Fourth of July, I thought a discussion about independence was in order. No, I’m not talking about America’s independence because frankly, since Black people were still in chains in 1776, and Breonna Taylor’s murderer has still not been charged, I’ll pass on the hot dogs and fireworks for now. ijs.
However, because I’m a committed advocate for women, I’ve decided to create a new Declaration of Independence especially for my ladies because like Fantasia sings, it’s time to “go ahead and free ourselves.” We as women have been trained from a young age to accept that carrying other’s burdens is a responsibility of womanhood. We’re raised to be sweet and attractive enough to get a man, yet strong and independent enough to live without one if necessary. We were taught that we must put in twice the work (for half the pay) and still break glass ceilings, bring home the bacon, and fry it up in the pan all while breast feeding, being our man’s “rib,” and the backbone of the entire community. Whew chile….
I don’t know about y’all but I’m tired and too old too keep trying to live up to all that hype. At this stage of the game, I’ve narrowed the people that I need to please down to one, and his name is Jesus. Okay, I guess two if you count my husband but even he’s had to make some adjustments. Lol
Frankly, I’m ready to live the rest of my days as the woman I truly am. I can no longer bend to others expectations and I desire to do, say, think, believe and dream exactly the way I want to. I realize that this may mean I’ll lose some folks, but just like I can choose to free myself, those who disagree with my choices can do the same. I believe that most women as they mature will eventually stop caring about what “they” have to say. The elders used to say that the older you get, the less you care and I know that to be true. But if you can free yourself while you’re young, you may save yourself a lifetime of unnecessary pain and regret. So with that in mind, I give you…
CC’s DECLARATION OF FEMALE INDEPENDENCE
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all women are created equal to men and that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. So basically…
- It is no longer necessary to be attached to a man to be valuable as a woman. Though a good man can be a wonderful asset, if he ain’t about that “real man” life, he is disposable. Hey Single Ladies, One is a Whole Number (*GLG Throwback 11/6/15)
2.Women are not required to dedicate their lives to repairing broken men. You Forgot Your Bags
3. Women do not require approval to make decisions concerning their lives. If you’re married or in a relationship, yes, you should consult with your mate out of respect and pursue compromise, but approaching your man like a child in need of permission is a no.
4. Women will set goals without limits. We will commit to aspiring to the highest level of every conceivable field and will expect that our earned achievements will be met with equal respect, recognition, and pay. Sorry (Not Sorry): Rehab for the Apology Addict
5. Women will no longer be required to be flawless in every area of their life simultaneously. Working women in particular are allowed to have unfinished laundry or prepare boxed macaroni and cheese on occasion. Superwoman is a fictional character, not a real life woman. The Struggle is Real
6. Women will no longer be required to stifle their thoughts or opinions or defer to a man prior to using their voices particularly with regard to issues of inequality and injustice. Are We Great Again Yet?
7. Women will not tolerate abuse or violence in any form and if you try it, we will bury you legally, professionally and maybe literally if you come for the wrong one. #Facts
8. Women will be entitled to develop their own beliefs based on their personally identified value system and not be bound by societal norms, faith shaming, or political correctness. Don’t Blame Jesus
9. Women will be entitled to the intentional, purposeful and consistent practice of self care becomes sometimes pedicures come first. Where’s My Charger? Living on 1% Battery Life
12. Women will unite regardless of marital status, race, sexual identification or gender identity for the purposes of support, sisterhood, and solidarity in the advancement of womanhood. The Real Cold War: Married vs. Single (*GLG Throwback 2/25/15)
13. Women will refuse to be barriers or obstacles to another woman’s success because when one woman succeeds, we all succeed. Why You Hatin’?
14. Women will not rely on men to be their financial safety nets or personal financiers. Captain Save ‘Ems have been written out of our constitution and women will prove themselves fully capable of funding their own lifestyles and investing in themselves, their families and their communities. Waiting for Captain Save ‘Em: 5 Ways Gold Diggers Play Themselves
15. Women will take total responsibility for their mental, emotional and physical health. We will not pretend to be okay if we’re not I’m Doing “Fine!”(ish), and be unafraid and unashamed to seek out healthy supports when we are struggling. We will no longer require ourselves to be infallibly strong and give ourselves permission to save ourselves before we aid in the rescue of others. Sick in the Head
Having stated the conditions that made independence necessary and having shown that those conditions existed, we conclude that these united women are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent individuals, that are absolved from all allegiance to sexism, racism, misogyny, and the limitations of an oppressive patriarchal society.
Witnessed this 3rd day of July in the year of our Lord 2020 by:
(Ya girl) CC Jean
“So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”